Project Main: Lost Adventures Vol 1
Who needs more Dragon models? If you did not say “me” then you obviously don’t have the same affinity and love for dragons as I do. This Adult Green Guardian from the Lost Adventures Vol 1 is probably one of the nicest dragons i’ve printed to date. Granted I still have almost every dragon from the “Lost Dragons” Kickstarter in my print queue still but we wont go into that.
This resin printed model probably is up there in most pieces to make up a model in my collection with one notable exception, the Lost Adventures Vol 2 River Kraken. Overall the model was straight forward to print with issues that were strictly related to my own printing mistakes and reattempts were all that was needed. Assembly was also pretty easy and will require only minimal gap filling before priming.
As for the model itself. I admit 100% that the freelance sculptor Joshua Black is one of my all time favorites. Seriously there is so much story telling that just oozes from his sculpts that I absolutely love. Like almost all other models I know he has sculpted the models just jump out at me, begging me to put paint on the model. Alas I have a long backlog already but look forward to spending more time with this miniature in the future.
Let me know what you think!
Print Issues/ Areas of Improvement
For these models I had three strange issues that went away after a second attempt for each, with the exception of the left wing. I did not reprint the left wing due to having the model piece print completely.
For this model I experienced 3 issues. The first issue was with the left wing. The issue with this print is that the model slowly starting to pull away from the supports while printing resulting in the model shifting and displaying horizontal lines of the model. In the end the wing was barely being held onto the build plate by the bottom joint point of the wing. But it lived and we are taking it as a victory!
The second issue was with the tail of the dragon coming off supports completely. As you will see from the picture bed level appeared to be fine but the tail merely did not print twice. On the 3rd attempt the fail printed just fine with no issue.
The last issue was with the body of the dragon (seen in last image). I have no idea why this piece did not adhere to the build plate and caused issues but there was zero issues on the second attempt. This body piece failure was a plate filled entirely with all the parts making up the dragon minus the tail, wings and base.
Images of pieces coming off the build plate.
Assembly of the model was pretty straight forward. This was an easy model to assemble but does show some gaps in the model. It will require some gap filling before priming which was not done in this assembly.
To assemble the model
- Attach back legs. It did not matter which legs I put on first and just made sure fit was great for all pieces before applying glue.
- Attach front legs. Model should be able to stand on its own after attaching the front right legs.
- Glued Tail
- Attach Neck
- Attach Head
- Attach Left/Right Wing.
I decided to not attach the base until after the model was painted. This would allow me to more easily reach the underside of the model.
Printer: Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K
Resin: Elegoo ABS-Like Grey
Layer Height: 0.05 mm
Time to Print all components: 2 Days 5 hours 42 minutes
Resin to Print: 165.6 g
Estimated Cost to Print: $6.79
Where to Find these Files
These files can be currently found on the Lost Adventures Co Website and are apart of the Lost Adventures Vol 1 Kickstarter.