These proud and misunderstood humanoids are the next featured print project. Overall it was a learning experience on coming back to printing after my long break with baby. After these prints I ended up deep diving into printer maintenance and calibration through the end of July and early August. Nevertheless I came out with good minis.

Orc Miniature Gallery

Orc Miniature Print Data
Layer Height: 0.08
Bed Adhesion: Majority of time used 6mm brim with no supports (Poor Goblin 3 with Axe).
Filament: Hatchbox Silver
Printed On Prusa i3 MK3s
Print Profile: Modified version of Cura 4.6 “Offical_FDG_Cura_ender3_and5miniatures_4mm” from The FatDragonGames website

File NamePrint TimeEstimated Material UsedMisc Notes
Orc_01_Axe*Group PrintPrint overall went well, axe was glued in an angle that is a little off for me.
Orc_02_Spear*Group PrintDisplays some retraction issues on leg and spear has broken. End of spear hollow due to clipping off pre-gen support.
Orc_03_Axe*Group PrintDecent model, face needs some retraction love and one day i’ll remember to print the shield.
*Group Print8hr 16m19g totalThis included skeleton set and orc warriors 1 along with single weapons for orc warriors
Orc Warriors 1 Axe17m1g
Orc Warriors 02_spear19m0.5g
Orc 04 Axe_A1h16min2.7gModel printed well but feels forced to be supportless by arm resting on belt to the side. Feels like unnatural posing
Orc Warrior 04 Axe_B42min1.2g
Orc Warrior 05 Bow1h57min5.1gCleanest model of the group. Cape does well to support the bow.
Orc Warrior 06 Spear1h34min3.7gClean simple model, also printed well.
Dead Orc1h 9min3glayer lines show on top of body

These orcs were printed as a group print with the Skeletons 3 group. Overall I realized how rusty my printer was. There were obvious 1st layer issues making brim removal hard, retraction issues, and the separate weapons needed to be added to these miniatures were sloppy so I reprinted them. This was definitely a wake up call that I needed to undo the cobwebs and work on my retraction settings and calibration methods.

Overall the weapons were incredibly difficult to print and took several attempts. Thank goodness that they were 0.5 to 1g of filament a piece and were quick and easily affordable. I had the most success when printing the weapons in groups and printed slowly with larger minimal layer times around 15s.

Where to Find STLs

Dragonlock Miniature store via DrivethroughRPG. Go see the renders on the Fat Dragon Games website (fatdragongames.com)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s